1. Apple is number 1 music seller globally and has sold 8.5billion songs through itunes
2. iPhone appstore now has 75,000 apps with 1.8 billion downloads (excluding updates which would make it much more)
3. 30m iphones sold, 75m OSX (mac operating system) active users, 50m+ iphone/touch OS users (including over 20m ipod touch), 220m ipods sold, 73.8% US ipod market share, over 50% of new ipod owners are first timers.
4. 5,200 developers from 54 countries at recent conference
5. iTunes9 is out, it is free and includes hundreds of improvements
6. iPhoneOS3.1 is out, it is free and includes hundreds of improvements
7. OSX snow leopard (next version) is out, it is nearly free and includes hundreds of improvements
8. 300% growth in 2 years of max OSX active users means it took 4-5 years to get from 0 to 25m users and only 2 years to hit 75m
9. 100m accounts with credit cards now on itunes can buy music, movies, apps, ringtones (now up to 30,000) and more
10. New products are almost all better, faster, lighter, bigger screens, bigger capacity, and cheaper… e.g. in mac range, ipod nano (now with video recording), ipod touch, macbooks, appletv, iphone, imac.
11. Deeper relationships with content creators (e.g. music, video) s a result of market share and the better margins they deliver means they now have unique content from tier one names e.g. Norah Jones teaching you music instruments; exclusive The Doors videos; new digital ‘LP’ artwork exclusive album features from Dave Mathews; and itunes extras for movies e.g. Wall-E’s movie rogue robots
12. They are repositioning ipod touch as a full computer in your pocket the ‘Great Pocket Computer’ with wifi, syncing, cloud services, integrated stores, unprecedented proprietary appstore offerings and continuous capacity improvements.
13. Apple are on the cusp of being word leader in handheld gaming according to business week and are highlighting negative differentiators of other entertainment alternatives from nintendo, sony and microsoft through aspects such as cost, appstore, buying experience, timeliness and more. They are also getting exclusive content here e.g. for the 10m users of tap tap revenge launching new categories of games such as ‘Rythm Rythm’ also from Tapulous that combine music skills with a new type of driving. Combine this with sensational multi-player, multi-media extensions and the game software developers are going into a feeding frenzy on the apple iphone/ipod touch platforms
Apple is winning. Apple is winning in more categories and daylight is second. They are doing it by delivering a better customer experience, better value (in terms of price and their customer’s time efficiency) and because even work is … fun.
As the Black Eyed Peas say with the new DJ mixes in Rythm Rythm … I like that boom boom sound. Keep up the great work apple.